Friday, December 25, 2009

Trip to the Bichi River, Udyl Lake, Amur River - Part 1 (Bichi)

I was floating the lower reaches of the Bichi River, crossed the Udyl Lake, and went down the channels to the Amur River.  The trip had ended in the Bogorodskoe village.  From here I went by regular bus to Khabarovsk. 


The MI-8 helicopter, which had to take a group of taimen fishermen back home, had brought me to the river. 


The helicopter is gone, and I had stayed alone on the river.


The plan was to move downstrean with inflatable kayak.  The main goal for the trip was to catch Amur whitefish with a flyrod (nobody did it before). 


I was fishing in the river on the first day.  After a strong rain it became murky, and I was limited to the sloughs and bays.


Big bright flies are the best for Amur pike (this one is called "Rainbow")


Amur pike


Smaller streamers were bringing "predatory minnows" - Amur minnow ...


... and Amur ide.


Good size pike


This pike is kept for the supper. 


The "anti-wobbler" fly is one of the best for pike.  The uright blade makes the fly both wiggle and come to the surface.  I will make a post on these unique flies a little later. 



To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment